Test of 27 antivirus programs for Android - January 2015
The Chinese PC Security Labs (PCSL) lab published the results of a January study of 27 mobile antivirus for Android 4x (4.0.2 / 4.4.4). It was supposed to check the mobile protective programs dealing with static viruses and how many false alarms they generate. In addition, the research was to check how effective mobile anti-viruses are now, protecting the user against:
1. Send SMSs to premium numbers.
2. Send the personal data of the telephone owner to unknown hosts.
3. Attach the phone to the botnet, where the hacker is able to issue remote commands (download malware, send spam, DDoS attacks, install malicious applications and Trojans and many other malicious activities) through the C & C server.
4. Controlling and eavesdropping on calls and text messages.
5. Searching for information about the phone that can be used in phishing, smishing.
6. An attempt to extort classified financial information such as account numbers, credit / debit cards.
7. PC infection, if the phone is paired with a laptop / PC.
- Aegis Lab: AegisLab Antivirus Free 3.0.1 build r30778
- Alibaba: Ali Money Shield 1.1.10
- Ariasecure: Bornaria Mobile Security 1.5.79
- AVAST: avast! Mobile Security Free 4.0.7871
- AVG: AVG Antivirus FREE 4.2.1 - 758128018-8914-4189
- Avira: Avira Antivirus Security 3.8 build no.3280
- Baidu: Baidu Mobile Security V5.11.0
- Bitdefender: Bitdefender Antivirus Free 2.19.194
- BullGuard: BullGuard Mobile Security 220.127.116.11
- Cheetah: CM Security 18.104.22.1686
- COMODO: COMODO Mobile Security 2.7.4
- Dr.Web: Dr.Web anti-virus Light 9.00.2 (0)
- ESET: ESET Mobile Security & Antivirus Free 3.0.1173.0-16
- F-Secure: F-Secure Mobile Security 9.2.15956
- IKARUS: IKARUS mobile.security Free 1.7.21
- Kaspersky: Kaspersky Internet Security 22.214.171.1240
- Lenovo: Lenovo SECUREit V126.96.36.19925
- Malwarebytes: Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Mobile V1.05.0.9000 (90)
- PSafe: PSafe Total V188.8.131.52
- Qihoo 360: 360 Mobile Security V184.108.40.2068
- Quick Heal: Quick Heal Mobile Security 2.01.018
- Sophos: Sophos Mobile Security 4.0.1433 (12)
- Symantec: Norton Mobile Security Free 220.127.116.115
- Tencent: Tencent Mobile Security Manager 5.3.0 Build 2964
- Trend Micro: Trend Micro Safety 2.0.1008
- Webroot: Webroot SecureAnywhere Mobile 18.104.22.16852
- Zoner: Zoner Antivirus Free 1.9.1
The testing process
To test the effectiveness of the above-mentioned programs, PCSL testers prepared 2435 mobile malware samples (including a lot of clean, non-virus applications) and copied them to the device's SD card. In the next step, the security software was installed, updated to the latest signatures and the entire device scanned. After the full scan process, undetected malware (malicious .APK and clean applications) was launched manually and installed to check the effectiveness of the program not only by the signature method, but also by the behavioral number of false positives.
Full report: http://pcsl.r.worldssl.net/re…
Learn more about our offer
We use Google Cloud Translation and Gengo API’s to translate articles with exception of our comparative tests.