Tools and programs to protect privacy
Even the most hardened users can ever have enough of that. In the era of ubiquitous surveillance, which covers almost all aspects of our private life, finally comes the moment when we realize that companies from the private and public sector are going too far . Even if their activities (spying on the web, selling information) did not bring you any negative effect, do you accept such a state of affairs? "Do you have nothing to hide?" Or maybe you just do not want anyone to gather any information about you without your knowledge? Do you need too much?
The NSA is building an infrastructure that allows you to capture almost everything ... I do not want to live in a world where everything I do and say is recorded. Edward Snowden
The authors of the site https://www.privacytools.io have reached a similar conclusion. The site contains a list of the most popular open source programs and tools that will significantly improve the user's privacy on the web.
Examples of tools include:
- VPN servers and proxies, to which (apparently) the FBI has not yet gotten used,
- recommended browsers and plugins that emphasize privacy and security eg. HTTPS Everywhere, Privacy Badger, Hinder Browser Fingerprinting,
- advanced Firefox browser settings that significantly improve privacy,
- alternative e-mail addresses and mail clients (Claws Mail, Thunderbird, Sylpheed),
- applications for message encryption,
- applications for encrypting conversations and videoconferences,
- alternative shared hosting plans,
- password managers (KeePass, Encrypter - Cloud Based, Mitro - Browser),
- disk encryption applications,
- Internet network alternatives,
- recommended "stationary and mobile" operating systems,
- alternative routers software,
- and many others.
- 10 safety tips from Niebezpiecznik.pl
- PRISM Break - programs for Android, detailing alternatives for Google store and programs.
- Panopticlick - an interesting site to check how much information your browser communicates about you.
- Surveillance Self-Defense by EFF - a project with advice on increasing the security of communication on the network.
- The Ultimate Privacy Guide - a privacy guide written by the creators of the bestVPN.com website.
- IVPN Privacy Guides - the authors of this site explain how to get much more freedom, privacy and anonymity.
If you know similar projects, share them in a comment.
Learn more about our offer
We use Google Cloud Translation and Gengo API’s to translate articles with exception of our comparative tests.